Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default rough cut

On Feb 1, 3:08*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 2/1/2011 12:07 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 1, 5:24 am, *wrote:

Problem here is that you ignored/didn't address the topic in my post in
which you chose to insert your opinions.

NBD, but doing so would have kept your assumptions from running rampant
down a path that doesn't exist.

I don't answer set up questions such as, were you the stupidest kid on
your bus?

Woodworking to me is not plywood and it is not just kitchens, modern or otherwise.

It is evident that "Kitchens" were simply used as an example to make a
point about tailed tools in my initial post, a fact which you continue
to ignore, but insist on misappropriating as a basis for your misguided
assumptions/purposes.

So, let's have a little 'show n' tell' to clear the air, shall we?

Just a sampling of my woodworking, such as it is (and obviously paltry
compared to a "real woodworker" of your apparent stature), is free for
the world to see in the link below, very little of which, you will note,
has anything to do with kitchens.

And, while we're tickled to have someone with your exalted expertise
offering opinions as how the world of woodworking is conducted, it would
be awfully upfront of you to actually show us some evidence of same.

(IIRC, this is not the first time this request has been made of you)

IOW, you indeed talk a good game, but do you really walk the talk?

Show us something besides hot air ... how about it?

Nice straw man, Karl. Not biting - sorry. You have a web site -
wow. Exciting. I should get one one day. I just happen to have an
opinion you don't share, and somehow you seem to feel that's a threat
to you and you want to start whipping out dicks.

In essence you're calling me a liar - as if you can't tell from my
writing that I know what I'm talking about...yet you want me to post
pictures of my work. Hey Sparky, how would you even know they're my
work? I'm a liar, remember? Maybe I should stand in the
picture...but what do I look like? Sheesh. Think first, type later.

As an aside, I recently told a girlfriend to not bring a lot of
samples of her work to a store that was looking to hire. The place
put out a cattle call, and it was easy to imagine the interviewer
being rushed, manhandling your work for 15 or 20 seconds, and tossing
it on the end of the table. I respect my work and the work of other
people (yes, even machine work) too much to do that or have it done to
my work. I told her to just compliment all of the nice work that
she'd seen that people brought, and then apologize that she didn't
have samples to show because all of her work sold. Sorry, more
philosophy.

If I hurt your feelings, or you feel I impugned your work, that was
unintentional. What was intentional was you belittling me for sharing
some of my background and philosophy, and having the temerity to have
an opinion you did not share. I've already pointed out that I am not
the fastest guy with power or hand tools, but I'd put the finished
product up against anyone's. I'd lose sometimes, but I'd hold my own.

You shouldn't care what I do in my shop, so I'm not quite so sure why
this is an issue for you. What I object to is the erroneous belief
that 'progress', and in particular attempting to supplant Mens et
Manus with Batteries et Idiot-proof, is an ever upward trend. I
object to bull****. I present an alternative opinion and you view it
as some sort of threat to your manhood and want to start whipping out
dicks.

My point was, and still is, that power tools don't automatically make
the job faster and better. That skill with hand tools is a lost art
because people buy into the "latest and greatest" power tool crap.
That craftsmen are no longer coached, they're more an accidental
result. And yes, I blame power tools for a lot of that. Hand tools
wielded by skilled hands can be more enjoyable and just as profitable
for a one man band shop.

I have not advertised in twenty five years, haven't had business cards
printed up in twenty, don't have a web site, and don't try to drum up
work. It finds me. All of my business in that time has been by word
of mouth. I moved to New Orleans for a few years for a relationship
(don't _ever_ do that) and people were still calling to see if I'd be
interested in doing their project knowing full well that I lived 1500
miles away. Again, don't just read this, check my posting history if
you'd like. Unless you believe that I've been setting up my 'cover
story' on Usenet for years in anticipation of having to prove myself
to you.

I pick and choose what projects I do, and only projects that interest
me, or those for really good customers, make the cut. I turn work
down because I don't like the people, and don't want to work with/for
them.

And here you are saying, "Hey, I'm acting like a dick, impress me!"
That'll happen.