Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Niggling drill bit issue

Most commercial candles have a tapered base. If you have much of
this to do, buy an extra spade bit or get an old one and file
and/or grind the taper on the bit. Do some marking on the bit
before you start and take equal amounts of material from each
side. Once you get it right, it is always ready for candle work.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in
message ...

I've got a little John Nelson plan for a dinner-table-type
folding
candle-holder that's full of "Gotcha's".

One is candle size. I need to drill hard curly-maple for the
base of the
candles. Nelson sez to use candles with .5" base: I can't find
any locally.
But I've got some with 17/32" base.

I have no bits greater than .5". I don't *think* they make a
17/32" spade
bit. I tried wiggling the .5" bit to enlarge the hole a little.
It didn't
work.

Do I have to special-order a 17/32" drill bit? Is there another
way.

Apologies for the nickel/dime question.

Will