Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tmurf.1@juno.com is offline

Default Bad Tenants

On Feb 1, 9:14*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
We've been thinking of renting our current home rather than selling in this
down market while we rent in some of the places we're thinking of retiring
to. *Unfortunately, movies like "Pacific Heights" where a bad tenant who
knows all the tricks of staying in a place without paying rent, haunt us.

Yesterday I saw a 'People's Court' episode where a deadbeat had managed to
stay, rent-free, in a Section 8 rental for three years by using a loophole
that says a tenant can't be evicted from Section 8 housing if there are code
violations. *Every time he was about to get evicted, he just broke something
to forestall the eviction process, eventually plugging all the sinks with
rags and flooding the place.

How can you drive a bad tenant out from a rental in such situations? *How do
you prevent them from completely trashing the place on their way out? *I
know that tenants should be checked out thoroughly beforehand, but even so,
people can have no record of evil behavior but still turn evil. *While I'd
probably NOT rent to any Section 8 tenants, I could easily see someone
losing their job or some other such tragedy and so decide they wanted to
live in my house rent-free for as long as they could get away with it.

I'll entertain all solutions, even extra-legal ones (as long as I can
implement them without getting caught!).

--
Bobby G.

Credit checks cost a little money but can help eliminate bad apples.
Actually talking to the previous landlord is important also. They may
be reluctant to say anything bad about tenants but you mignt learn
something. It is better to leave the place empty for a month or two
rather than just grabbing money from the first person who comes
along. Beware of people who talk too much or tell you lots of stuff
that has nothing to do with your problem. They are often blowing
smoke as a distraction.