Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default rough cut

On Jan 31, 8:44*pm, "CW" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Power tools are just an extension of the industrial revolution's aim
to obviate operator skill in favor of cheap labor. *There's also the
question of cost in outfitting a shop. *A complete joiner's shop back
in the day fit in a 3'x2'x2' box. *Now a guy figures he can't do any
work unless he has ten grand in tools - to start. *Journeymen
carpenters walked around with a roll with their tools inside, often
just the blades and bits, and made handles, benches and whatever else
was needed on the spot.

We've gained some with power tools, but we've lost just as much
because of them. *I still wish that carpenters wore corduroy suits so
we could see at a glance who was in the brotherhood.

It is very obvious, by the above, that you do not build things for a living.

This would be where you are wrong.

I design and build everything I do. I used to just design, when I was
first starting out. Designing without building is just as bad as
building without designing.