Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default rough cut

On Jan 31, 8:06*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 4:17 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 1/30/2011 2:53 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:41:01 -0600, wrote:

Methinks the lad would quickly grab for a tailed tool or two, or more

I'm not so sure, Swingy. The man is QUICK! And have you ever watched
that handy Hungarian, Frank Klausz, make dovetails? He's quicker
doing up a drawer than a Normite is just setting up his first jig.
It's amazing. With Roy's love of woodworking, I think he'd likely go
with handtools everywhere.

I saw Klausz cut a drawer at a local woodworking club meeting. *The
guy was so quick I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I did
both. *He spoke about laying out dovetails on graduated drawers by
eye, and you could hear murmurrs of "WTF?" *To do the same thing with
power tools would require jig modifications for every drawer, and they
still wouldn't have that hand-cut tiny-pin dovetail look. *They simply
look better.

At last year's Woodworkers Showcase in Saratoga Springs, NY I used a 22" 12
pt Sandvik crosscut saw, marking gauge, pencil, 1/2" chisel, and my eyes to
layout and cut dovetails during my presentation... My core topic was how to
use reference surfaces and edges to guide your work (e.g., bench top, edge
of board). *In dovetailing, once you understand the relationships of the
parts and cuts the tools used become secondary.

Do you record the presentations you do? Any links to them to share?
I'd love to see that.

PS. this year's show is the last weekend of March. I'm doing a presentation
on scrub planes.

You _had_ to bring that up! My #40 blade and lever cap went walkabout
some while back. You haven't seen them by any chance, have you?