Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling a gap between new garage door and wall

John Williamson wrote:
lovezoo wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:53 pm, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 31, 1:49 pm, lovezoo wrote:

I have just had a new steel garage door fitted, and it has left a
small (gap 1-2cm high) between the top of the door frame and the
brickwork of the garage itself.
My (no doubt stupid) question is, what should I use to fill the gap?
Cement or a mixture of cement/sand etc?
Please let me know what you think, as its a simple job, but I really
don't know what to use.
get installer back to finish the job?
using
squirty expanding foam?

Jim K

I don't want to use squirty expanding foam, I want a nice smooth
cement finish to paint over.

3 parts sand to 1 part cement? Just cement?

You'd be much better off using a strip of wood on the outside screwed to
the frame, sealed with mastic or backed with expanding foam.

About 6:1 soft sand/ cement with a bit of plasticiser in the mix if you
insist on mortar. Neat cement would be far too brittle after it's set,
and the nature of metal garage door frames is to flex slightly every
time the door is operated. Even 6:1 with plasticiser will probably crack
in fairly short order.

Exactly. If its paint you want use foam to fill most of the gap. and
acrylic frame sealer that takes paint, to provide an aestheically sound
surface.