Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rough cut

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:41:01 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/30/2011 11:56 AM, Michael Kenefick wrote:

If you don't like hand tools, the song of a sharp plane, and need to
hear a motor roaring to feel you're really working (or believing the
machine always does it faster), then Roy's show is certainly not for
you. Me? The more I watch the guy the more I appreciate him and what
he does.

I like Roy, his show, appreciate what he does, and the fact that he is
also one of the nicest guys around ... but what do you reckon his
response would be if I told him that he, and one partner, must build, to
designer spec, 28 wall and base cabinets, 20 dovetailed drawers, 6 shop
built pullouts, 60 doors/drawer fronts, associated shelving, and install
them in a precise dimensioned location in 30 days of work?

Methinks the lad would quickly grab for a tailed tool or two, or more ...

I'm not so sure, Swingy. The man is QUICK! And have you ever watched
that handy Hungarian, Frank Klausz, make dovetails? He's quicker
doing up a drawer than a Normite is just setting up his first jig.
It's amazing. With Roy's love of woodworking, I think he'd likely go
with handtools everywhere.

Often our trueness to our Normite/Neander philosophy depends upon
whether you need to make a living at it or not.

I use power on my own projects when something is too delicate for
handtools. I use power almost exclusively on site for clients because
they won't pay me extra for Neanderwork.

--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,
hoping it will eat him last.