Posted to rec.woodworking
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Curly Maple finish?

Greetings,

I am working with curly maple for the first time, making a folding
candleholder:

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/foldin...holders11.jpg/

As usual, I am working "on a shoestring", with minimal tools, finishes,
etc. I have some dark walnut and other odd-ball oil-base stains lying
around. I expect it would be best to final-finish with my Minwax wax, as
the maple parts need to slide across one another.

But I need a darker tint, and, as I recall, maple is kinda tricky
regarding stains, etc.

Would appreciate advice/suggestions about prepping/finishing such a
project.

Thx,