Charlie Self

Default Shipping Question

JOAT asks:

I figured shipping materials for one bank would run something like
$2, which I don't consider unreasonable. Then got to thinking again.
Hehehe I was (foolishly) thinking of buying a newspaper, to ball up as
filler. Then thought of free "shopper" papers. I often get one anyway.
Probably enough pages for one bank. Heh heh. Another expense saved.
Maybe closer to $1.50 a bank.

I would like to hear from anyone has used Saran Wrap in shipping
some of the things they've made.

I think I've got it covered, but need to know, am I missing any
down-sides on using Saran Wrap?

I get the uneasy feeling it might stick to finishes, but...try a test. Wrap a
similar shaped, finished object with Saran wrap. Set it in the freezer for a
night or so. Then stick it over a heat vent (this assumes you don't have a heat
pump with its low temp heat at the vents). Or next to a fireplace or woodstove
(even better). Then let it stand for a day, pop it back near the heat and sit
for another day. Then peel off the wrap.

If it's OK, you're ready to go.

Quick note: when I visited Lee Valley back last year, I noticed a special
machine in their shipping department. It tears and wrinkle clean, low cost
paper they use for stuffing boxes. Since then, I've noticed several other
companies using similar machine torn paper. I didn't ask at the time, but my
guess is that it is slightly cheaper than peanuts, a lot cheaper than bubble
wrap, and probably easier on the environment, too.

Charlie Self
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
sure."
Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html