Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default rough cut

On Jan 29, 2:52*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

RicodJour wrote:

snip

If you don't like hand tools, the song of a sharp plane, and need to
hear a motor roaring to feel you're really working (or believing the
machine always does it faster), then Roy's show is certainly not for
you. *Me? *The more I watch the guy the more I appreciate him and what
he does.

Just curious--are those reruns or is Roy Underhill still making new shows?

He's still shooting... and he has a school now:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/

http://www.woodwrightschool.com/

I didn't know Roy started a school. Most excellent! The stuff on his
web site certainly made me smile.

"TOOLS: You’ll be doing early Anglo-American style joinery with
English-style tools. That’s what this class is about - early music
played on the original instruments. Many people like to work with
Japanese tools these days, but we will not be using them in this
class. As one respected teacher put it, “That would be like stir-
frying grits.”

I will have all the tools you’ll need for the workshop waiting on your
bench. You may certainly bring your own tools if you wish. Please note
that tape measures are not permitted in the building, Normite
propaganda will be denounced, and any tools with plastic handles must
be hidden when I walk by.

DRESS CODE: Dress code? In keeping with our efforts to make the
Woodwright’s School look as if it were 1937, please wear clothing that
would not look out of place in that time period. When you enter this
vintage environment, you become a part of it. I’ll have a few shop
coats to cover anyone who forgets and wears a logo T-shirt. We’ll
shoot a group photo for you to take home."

The guy's got a sense of humor. I wonder how much of that is edited
out for TV to be politically correct.