Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default rough cut

On 1/29/2011 2:03 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 29, 1:15 pm, Larry wrote:

I think I watched my last episode of Rough Cut this morning. He built a
trestle table. The only part that needed explanation was the breadboaed
ends. His comment "All I've got left to do is glue on the ends" and that
was all he said. Sheeesh!

I'm going to write to Woodcraft. As an ex-employee I'm ashamed they're
sponsoring it.

They've been running a Rough Cut marathon on the tube here. I'd
already seen a number of them, and watched a couple more. They're not
the worst thing on TV, and better than some of the other shows - even
though it's his first season (I think), but the problem is that The
Woodwright's Shop is on the same channel and I couldn't help
contrasting the two shows.

Verdict - Roy Underhill by a country mile and running away. Roy is
definitely different than your average oh-take-me-seriously-please
host, but he so clearly knows the stuff backwards, forwards, and some
directions I don't even know, his enthusiasm is apparent and
contagious, he talks non-stop, literally, and there is never a pause,
never an Um, Sweet! or anything of that sort, and it certainly looks
like the show is shot in one go with no edits. While he's doing the
work!

If you don't like hand tools, the song of a sharp plane, and need to
hear a motor roaring to feel you're really working (or believing the
machine always does it faster), then Roy's show is certainly not for
you. Me? The more I watch the guy the more I appreciate him and what
he does.

When it comes to woodwork Roy Underhill has every one beat.

I became a dedicated viewer when he brought a 12" oak log into the shop
and cut two 2" planks with just his hatchet and a wedge. That was years
ago.