Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Niggling drill bit issue

wrote:
One is candle size. I need to drill hard curly-maple for the base of
the candles. Nelson sez to use candles with .5" base: I can't find
any locally. But I've got some with 17/32" base.

I've seen devices that will taper down a candle to fit in a holder.
Also you could get a 9/16" spade bit and grind or file the sides down
to a slight taper (or even to cut a cylinder)for holes for the candle.

Now THAT'S thinking outside the box. Good idea.

We've gotten so far away from making our own tools that you were the first
to come up with the idea.