Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default 3 phase rotation direction?

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 06:03:11 -0800,
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:56:43 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

For me, the instruments Speff indicated are much less time and
about the same money as a small motor, so I'm going with the
instrument rather than the motor. Three of us had the same idea
so it'd be a worthy notion if it weren't for the good quality tools
Speff mentioned.

--Winston

But shiny new made-offshore electronic instruments are so sterile,
lacking the character and ambience of a small but suitably grungy
3-phase motor of suitable antiquity. Have you no principles, mon?

DoH! Busted.

--Winston

If memory serves (and it may not), many years ago, the phase testers
actually had a little 3-phase motor with one of those hypnotist spiral
disks behind a clear window.

If I were shorter on money than time, I'd salvage the
motor of a 3 phase brushless fan by liberating it's
circuitry and driving the windings directly via three
carefully chosen capacitors.

--Winston