John E. Flatley, Jr.

Default New Woodworking Magazine?

I just did a quick look in this group to see if anyone has discussed
this magazine before and I couldn't find any posts. (that may be a
statement of my newsgroup skills not a definitive "it isn't here"
position)

Anyway, stumbling through a Barnes & Noble this week, I came across
a "new" magazine. "Woodworking Magazine." The printed bar-code
block carries the "Popular Woodworking" name, along with a $4.99
U.S. price.

It bills itself as the Spring 2004 issue, and states you can
preorder the next issue, the Fall 2004 issue for $7.00. The Fall
issue will be the second publication of 2004 and is promised out in
July. Those are the only two issues planned for 2004. No
subscriptions are being offered at this time.

Their web site is www.woodworking-magazine.com and forecasts "Coming
Soon."

Steve Shanesy is the Editor & Publisher. Shanesy and the masthead
staff have e-mail addresses at @fwpubs.com. Google has no listing
for fwpubs.com. The magazine says they are F&W Publications Inc.,
in Cincinnati, Ohio. They state they are a sister publication to
Popular Woodworking.

No advertisements! The only commercial tidbit is a small block of
text recommending the book "Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloane.
This small blurb was signed by Christopher Schartz, Executive Editor
of the magazine.

The magazine articles are basic stuff. Fundamental. Articles like
"Cut Accurate and Clean Rabbets," Making Stub-tenon Doors," Shaker
Hanging Cabinet," and similar. The articles seem well written and
contain both photos and drawings in black and white, - no color.
Only the covers, front and back, both sides use color. (The
format/layout kind of reminds me of the "Cooks Illustrated" magazine
a few years ago.)

Not a bad first attempt. Pretty good, I think. They have some work
to do. They say they will have a free e-mail newsletter but that
must be a future project since the web site is unavailable to
sign-up.

Jack
AMJ
(Admitted Magazine Junkie)

--
"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."