Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Niggling drill bit issue

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:56:56 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

On Jan 27, 5:20Â*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot
net wrote:
"Leon" wrote

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message
.. .

I've got a little John Nelson plan for a dinner-table-type folding
candle-holder that's full of "Gotcha's".

One is candle size. I need to drill hard curly-maple for the base of
the candles. Nelson sez to use candles with .5" base: I can't find
any locally.
But I've got some with 17/32" base.

I have no bits greater than .5". I don't *think* they make a 17/32"
spade bit. I tried wiggling the .5" bit to enlarge the hole a
little. It didn't work.

Do I have to special-order a 17/32" drill bit? Is there another way.

Apologies for the nickel/dime question.

Â*Will

Heat the candle base and push it into 1/2" hole.

I have seen candles carved to fit into a smaller holder as well. Â*It
carves easily. Any kind of knife with a short blade should do.

I have carved candles before, got hot wax all over my hands, almost set
my hair on fire...I must have done it wrong...

Your supposed to wear gloves and hold it away from your face

basilisk