Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Niggling drill bit issue

On Jan 27, 5:20*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Leon" wrote

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message
.. .

I've got a little John Nelson plan for a dinner-table-type folding
candle-holder that's full of "Gotcha's".

One is candle size. I need to drill hard curly-maple for the base of the
candles. Nelson sez to use candles with .5" base: I can't find any
locally.
But I've got some with 17/32" base.

I have no bits greater than .5". I don't *think* they make a 17/32" spade
bit. I tried wiggling the .5" bit to enlarge the hole a little. It didn't
work.

Do I have to special-order a 17/32" drill bit? Is there another way.

Apologies for the nickel/dime question.

*Will

Heat the candle base and push it into 1/2" hole.

I have seen candles carved to fit into a smaller holder as well. *It carves
easily. Any kind of knife with a short blade should do.

I have carved candles before, got hot wax all over my hands, almost
set my hair on fire...I must have done it wrong...