Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Niggling drill bit issue

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

I've got a little John Nelson plan for a dinner-table-type folding
candle-holder that's full of "Gotcha's".

One is candle size. I need to drill hard curly-maple for the base of the
candles. Nelson sez to use candles with .5" base: I can't find any locally.
But I've got some with 17/32" base.

I have no bits greater than .5". I don't *think* they make a 17/32" spade
bit. I tried wiggling the .5" bit to enlarge the hole a little. It didn't
work.

Do I have to special-order a 17/32" drill bit? Is there another way.

Apologies for the nickel/dime question.

Will

Get a 9/16" (or bigger) spade bit and grind or file 1/64" (or more)
from each side.
Art