Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default 3 phase rotation direction?

John wrote:
Winston wrote:
PrecisiomachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote in

Who makes an inexpensive tester that I can plug
into 208 V 3 phase L14-30 outlets to determine
phase rotation?

Could you just find a small 3ph motor and use that?

That would be way too easy...

I thought of that. Smallest gear motor I could find
cheaply was 1/2 HP!

For machine tools usually I just momentarily turn on the coolant pump
before
going any further.

I will have to rearrange my troubleshooting schedule
so that 'rotation direction' is at the top of the list.

I've seen small fans that run on three phase, muffin fans.

Of course! BLDC (BrushLess DC) motors have a little three-
phase oscillator, but to use one of those for phase testing
you'd have to hack into it and bypass the internal 3-phase
oscillator.

Good Luck!
Rich