Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default 3 phase rotation direction?

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 06:56:08 -0800,
wrote:

I Googled but didn't find anything that would
work quickly.

Who makes an inexpensive tester that I can plug
into 208 V 3 phase L14-30 outlets to determine
phase rotation?

I'm aware of this circuit but I want something
I can buy at the Borg and leave at a worksite:
http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tut...on_2_10_03.htm

--Winston

Hey Winston,

I don't know what "the Borg" is, but any industrial/wholesale
electrical supplier should have "Reverse Phase" relays available. Just
do a Google to see them. Most have a secondary function to drop out
if the applied voltage goes too low, and the really expensive ones
check for over-voltage too.

Hi Brian,

'The Borg' is an affectionate diminutive for the various mega stores
who have assimilated all of our small 'mom and pop' hardware stores.
over the last 15 years or so.

Thanks for the 'reverse phase' relay suggestion.
As Spehro mentioned, there are many tools
available that provide more information at reasonable
price points.

Spehro pointed out this- and other similar tools.
It is priced about the same as the relay but will display
phase information from a motor disconnected from power.
A very nifty trick!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AMP...RW3?Pid=search

Thanks!

--Winston