Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default I Want to bend a piece of ER70S-.062 filler with bend R .160

On Jan 23, 2:57*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 22, 11:33 pm, Rich Grise wrote:
The reason I'm doing this is because I'm assembling another one of
those "HDTV" 4-bay bowtie antennas, ...
Thanks!
Rich

Why not use brass or aluminum wire? In my experience they are easier
to recondition when the contacts age and oxidize. The copper on
welding wire is very thin and doesn't last long.

I don't trust aluminum at all to make a reliable electical contact - I
wish it did, because there are some beautiful 3/16 aluminum rods here
that might be pure aluminum - they're really easy to bend to shape, but
if you try to unbend it, it breaks. But electricity-wise, we're talking
microvolts of signal here. and I just lifted the wilding rod from the
company's stock of bulk rods, so it was "free." =:-O (yes, stolen, but
they don't like inventory it - they don't even keep track of what they
use on a job - they just order more when it gets low.)

And I don't know where I'd get brass wire, or what I'd have to spend on
it. I can get copper household wiring at the Home Depot practically next-
door, but again, I'd have to shell out my hard-earned pennies. I _did_
buy enough #14 copper to do the transmission lines with, so it'd be the
copper-plated steel element and a loop of copper under each screw head.

Thanks!
Rich

I'd just use the old standby, bronze brazing rod from the welding
supply. I bought a bunch of different sizes way before metals went
up. Can be had up to 1/4" dia. around here. Don't get too many of
those per pound, though. It's drawn stuff, so very stiff, to bend it
tight like you want you'd probably have to do a quick anneal with a
propane torch. I was using it to make rings and hardware for leather
goods, with the right silver braze and a scarf joint you can get a
joint that's almost invisible. In fractional sizes at the local
welding supply.

Stan