Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Beeping can't find the reason

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:09:18 -0500, Frank wrote:
Maybe, at wits end, turn off all house power and if beep continues you
can assume something with a battery. You'll also be able to hear better
with all background noises off.

That'd be my advice, too. Actually, it is my advice, too. :-)

Last time I did that, it turned out to be an ancient smoke alarm that had
once started beeping, then stopped, and I'd thrown on a shelf in the
basement about a year before, figuring that the battery had given out and
the whole thing was due for replacement anyway.

Quite why it suddenly decided to beep again a year later I don't know,
but of course I'd forgotten it was there by then and it took me a while
to work out where the noise was coming from (it'd beep once every 5
minutes or so, too, which is an annoying length of time to be standing
around trying to pinpoint the next beep! :-)

Amazing how much quieter the house is when there's not the fridge,
computers etc. all running.

cheers

Jules