Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On Jan 24, 5:10*pm, basilisk wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:50:32 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:16:48 -0500, Bill wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

I certainly agree that the Sawstop is an excellent safety feature. The
Whirlwind looks very good IMHO also. In my own purchases, for various
reasons I usually purchased used tools when it comes to larger items like
tablesaws, so I have to depend on good safety practices more than technology.
But, the legal antics of the Sawstop designer don't sit right with me
either. Suppose Bell or Shoei and the other helmet manufacturers started
lobbying for mandatory helmet use but CAR AND TRUCK drivers. There's no
question it would reduce head injuries, right? Or why not require racing
type 5 point seatbelts?

That latter is a less obnoxious requirement than airbags IMO.

About a year and a half ago, a car turned in front of me, while the
driver was on a cell phone I think, despite my right of way--and I felt
the airbag knock me right in the jaw! I was happy about it too. *She
said she didn't see anyone coming...

So, how loud are those things while you're in the car with one
ex-pand/ploding? *

I t-boned a 17 yr old that pulled out in front of me, I was going
about 50.

I was not aware of any sound or impact from the air bag, just having to
rake it out of my face when the action was over.

Totaled both vehicles, kid stayed in the hospital for three weeks, I
picked out another truck and went home, was sore the next day.

I am quite fond of airbags.

basilisk

Unless you're talking about the airbags in the Yugo; you have to blow
those up yourself, a straw hanging from the dash..