Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default PING Jeff VX-5

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:15:01 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

I can hear the PL tone. Maybe the highpass filter isn't working? It's not
loud but it's there. Hook it up to an external com speaker and it loud.

The tiny speaker inside the radio probably has no low frequency
response and will greatly help reduce any PL feedthrough. However,
your external speaker will probably work below 300Hz, making the buzz
appear louder.

However, the real question what frequency are you hearing? My
guess(tm) is very little fundamental (167.9) and plenty of harmonics.

Also, try listening to the same channel on a scanner or other radio.
If all the receivers hear the buzz, it's coming from the transmitter.
If only the VX-5R belches buzz, there's a problem inside.

That's unusual. That can't be PL feedthrough unless the audio section
is drifting around in gain or phase. My brain is into paying bills
tonite, so give me a little time to think about that one. They symptoms
don't seem very consistent with microphonics.

Yeah. If I crank the volume the howl goes away faster.

Huh? That's backwards if it's microphonics. I like mysteries but
this is more than a little odd.

I'll try separating the two. But the VX-5 has nothing to be jealous
of the FT-60. It's full 5 watts on 2 with the E-DC-5B cig plug.

Yep. It also has a built in timeout timer at 5 watts out. It gets so
hot that you can't hold it in your hand after about 1 minute of
transmitting.

Paraphrasing Sherlock Holmes, after the impossible, rediculous, inane,
stupid, and absurd theories have been eliminates, that what remains,
no matter how dumb sounding, must be the explanation. Make sure the
FT-60 is in a separate room when testing the VX-5r. The jealousy
theory still has merit until disproven.

Oh and more drivel. I have two batteries for the FT-60. One will charge
with the E-DC-5B cig plug, one wont. However both charge to 8.3 volts
in the rapid drop charger CD-29. Both are 1400mah 7.2v. Got any insight
on that?

Sorry, no clue. I've seen some clone batteries fail to charge in the
cell phone because the vendor left out the monitoring chip from the
battery pack to save a few pennies. They would charge in various
"universal" cell phone chargers, but not inside the phone. There are
also various anti-counterfeit battery chips being used by some vendors
after litigation for alleged injuries caused by exploding cell phone
batteries.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D