Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default PING Jeff VX-5

I think the .70cm band howl is due to the PL tone
of what I listen to the most, local public safety
with a high 167.9? tone. Doesn't happen on a ham repeater with 110.9.
Haven't tried to put some pressure on the board to dampen an oscillation
between the speaker and the board yet. If i leave it on for more than 5
minutes it doesn't act up. Also the power on problem is now 3 pushes
then hold and it turns one, every time. I hold the button for 1 second
in between pushes. Also I failed to mention I did not use this radio
for maybe 6 months, during the period I only used my new FT-60. The VX-5
was nearly impossible to turn on after that. But the more it's used
the quicker it comes on.

Finally, it's hard to believe the original battery still performs like
new. Makes me wonder why some fail so quickly. Must be a quality issue.