Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I Want to bend a piece of ER70S-.062 filler with bend R .160

On 2011-01-23, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:33:38 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Is it safe to use a gage pin as a mandrel to do something like this?

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...ire-on-pin.png

[ ... ]

But in the shop, they have a set of gage pins. Are gage pins hard
enough that I could use one as a mandrel to bend the copper-coated
steel wire around it without marring the gage pin? There's only
one rule here about my using the shop tools - I break it, I buy it.

In this case, I think that it would be a "I break it, I buy a
new set of gauge pins".

I would *not* use a gauge pin for a task of this sort. Find
something cheaper to use.

[ ... ]

So, is it OK? About the gage pin, I mean.

No! Certainly not with *my* gauge pins. They are for
measuring, not to be used as anvils.

That'd a little like using a micrometer as a C-clamp. Use the shank
of a 5/32" drill as a mandrel.

Given that the shanks of drills are also noticeably softer than
the flute area (different metal). You can tell this because if you
don't tighten the chuck enough and it slips, you will find the shank to
have been gouged.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564