Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Competition for SawStop ?

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?
"J. Clarke" wrote

Which is gonna cost you more, the Sawstop or the insurance rate? And
why would it increase due to lack of use of the technology, did table
saws suddenly become more likely to cause an injury because of it?

Our Workman's Comp carrier is recommending using Saw Stop. I'd not be
surprised if they carried it further in the future and either demanded
they be used or raised the rates. It is a way they can limit their
exposure to claims.

When we had our annual inspection, our inspector told me about a cabinet
company that moved recently, and on his recommendation bough the Saw Stop
models as replacements for old equipment. In the first month one tripped
and avoided a serious injury. You can bet he's going to push for them all
over.

When claims go down, rates tend to follow.
And to answer which would cost more, the SawStop or the Insurance, if you
use the technology and don't visit the hospital when the saw saves you that
trip, the insurance company does not hear about it.
If you use a regular saw w/o the technoligy and end up going to the hospital
the insurance company will hear about it and you will likely pay higher
premiums and as a whole most every one else will also because this is not an
isolated incident and the cost of reattaching a finger or other digit is
going to cost way more than your premium will increase.
Additionally if you end up having a major accident you will pay for the rest
of your life and I am not talking money.

How many dollars less per year will your insurance rate be if you buy a
Sawstop? 1? 10? 100? 1000?