Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:
[...]
"And *I* wouldn't buy one because when the time comes that my common
sense,
agility, and attention to safety factors are so badly deteriorated that I
feel the need for the device I will discontinue using a table saw."

So how will you know when your common sense is gone?

Exactly so. Well said, Leon. You hit the nail on the head. When your
common
sense is gone, how will you know -- how *can* you know -- when your common
sense is gone?

My wife and I have an example of that right in our own household. Her
parents,
both in their late 80s, have been living with us for nearly two years now.
Unhappily, my MIL is in the middle stages of Alzheimer's disease (or some
similar progressive dementia), which makes it completely impossible for
her to
drive a car safely -- and also prevents her from realizing that. She can't
see
either (can't even make out the big E on the chart), and she also can't
understand why *that* should stop her from driving.

;~) Ironic isn't it. I think I still have a bit of common sense...
although.... My wife and I moved into an new home 4 weeks ago. My 23 year
old son, his same age friend, and I tried once to move a large sewing
cabinet up stairs. After the first attempt my common sense told me loud and
clear that the cabinet needed to stay down stairs.

Thirty minutes later I had been talked into trying again against my better
judgement. We were half way up the stairs with the cabinet and I was still
not sure we could round the corner once we got up there when one of the
boys suggested that I get up under the cabinet and toss the lifting straps
up each side to the person at the top. My son was carrying the weight of
the cabinet from coming down on top of me. I did not waste much time
hanging around under the cabinet. ;~)