Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Upscale" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
message
From a pure marketing viewpoint, Mr. Gass was an idiot. He ****ed
everybody off.

Well, I can't blame him as much as some do. He *did* first try to get his
device into the market through the other manufacturers who themselves
supposedly appeared to collude against his Sawstop. Personally, I don't
think the licensing fee he wanted was outlandish, there have been many
smaller and less technical devices that have come out on the market that
have commanded a greater licensing fee than what Gass wanted. Quite
possibly, the time, money and effort to patent, build and market a
tablesaw with his safety feature was just too much for him to face. Many,
many people including myself might balk at such an endevour. Gass
certainly wouldn't be the first person to try to take the shorter route.
In this case, it turned out to be the longer route.

And in the end, he was forced to face his demons and market the saw
himself. If even *one* of those manufacturers had taken on the licensing
of the Sawstop, they might well be at the top of the tablesaw marketing
pyramid.

Is Sawstop at the top of that pyramid?

Probably not yet but from what I have heard the SawStop out sales most other
brands and many brands are having a hard time staying afloat. And having a
hard time staying a float is certainly not the direct effect of the SawStop
competition in every case, the economy is certainly a strong factor. But
still SawStop seems to be gaining in this depressed market.