Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Aluminum countertop

"Gerry" wrote in message
On Jan 23, 3:11 pm, mkr5000 wrote:
I'm determined to do something unique for a countertop and don't
want
to spend the money on stainless steel and I want something sort of
"industrial" looking.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that 1/4" thick (or thicker)
sheet
aluminum has some possibilities for a countertop.

I'd like a brushed, sealed finish and other than getting the pieces
sheared, do the top myself.

I have a metal fabricator who I'm sure can laser cut the sink etc.

Has anyone ever done this?

Any help/hints?

Hardness? 5052?

Thanks

I suspect that you will find that aluminum will scratch pretty easy.
The first time you try to slide something heavy you may end up with
some deep gouges. I have stainless countertops in my shop and it would
take a near constant effort to keep them looking good-if I was so
inclined. Have you consided cement? I've seen some nice cement kitchen
counter tops.

I'll second the notion of cementious countertops. There is more than
one
book devoted to the topic and the array of possibilities is not
piffling.

If you consider the metal tile or plate idea elsewhere suggested in
the thread,
spend your money on Spectralock epoxy grout. Price comparison with
the regular stuff will make you cringe. The durable result will make
you
prudently satisfied.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey