Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default While Iggy's talking about safes...

rangerssuck wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:00*am, Rich Grise wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

Well, the locksmith who told me about keeping honest people honest
worked at an industrial hardware store. I was there to pick up a large
order. While I was waiting, I asked the locksmith, "Are any of these
locks really any good?" He bet me $20 that he could open any of them
within 5 minutes - my choice of lock. So I chose the "hardest looking"
of them - I don't remember the brand, but it was expensive and looked
very well made.

He not only opened it (within two minutes), but had a key made in
under five minutes.

So, it was a key lock. How'd he do on combination locks? I was in the
USAF, and theu used a type of combination padlock that was approved for
protecting classified stuff.

I don't know. This was a sample size of one; and it was a shop that
sold locks for residential front doors. I have never seen a safe-style
combination lock on a residential door. Have you?

No, you've got a point here. (sometimes you see a combination on a keybox
for a vacant house that's for sale.)

Also, how impervious are those padlocks to brute force? How
indestructable are the doors they were securing?

The locks? Same as any other - I once ground through a shackle with a
Dremel. I've seen locks torched off in seconds. If you've got the tools,
you can do anything! :-)

Didja ever see this (and yes, I know it's only a movie, but it's
representative of things you could do if you really wanted to get into
a safe)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7KVP...lpage#t=10 0s

I haven't seen the thing yet - my browser doesn't render youtube very well,
but your mentioning the issue made me think of Goldfinger with his
laser. :-)

Cheers!
Rich