Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default While Iggy's talking about safes...

On Jan 23, 6:37*pm, Wes wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
I thought now would be a good time to relate a story about locks.

I've always had a passing interest in locks and lock picking, but it
was just that - a passing interest. Until a few years ago when I
picked up a rental video on lock picking. Holy crap, says I, It can't
really be that easy, can it? So, I bought a cheap set of lock picks,
and took a whack at it. It really was THAT easy.

The 15 year old kid from down the street happend to stop by, and I
showed him my new-found "skill." After I spent a couple of minutes
explaining what goes on with the pins inside a lock cylinder, he
proceeded to pick my front door lock.

A long time ago, a locksmith told me, "Locks are to keep honest people
honest. If a bad guy wants to get in, he's going to get in." After my
brief experience with picking various locks, I believe him.

I tend to believe that many inteligent people find picking locks quite interesting. *

I was going to add mechanically inclined to that description but I have often heard that
software types (hackers) like defeating locks also.

Wes

--
If it makes you feel better, your government fears you as much as you fear it

I've thought about bump keys and pick guns, but there's something
satisfying about doing it the old fashioned way. You have to visualize
what's going on inside the lock.