Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default While Iggy's talking about safes...

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:27:10 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2011-01-23, rangerssuck wrote:
I thought now would be a good time to relate a story about locks.

I've always had a passing interest in locks and lock picking, but it
was just that - a passing interest. Until a few years ago when I
picked up a rental video on lock picking. Holy crap, says I, It can't
really be that easy, can it? So, I bought a cheap set of lock picks,
and took a whack at it. It really was THAT easy.

The 15 year old kid from down the street happend to stop by, and I
showed him my new-found "skill." After I spent a couple of minutes
explaining what goes on with the pins inside a lock cylinder, he
proceeded to pick my front door lock.

A long time ago, a locksmith told me, "Locks are to keep honest people
honest. If a bad guy wants to get in, he's going to get in." After my
brief experience with picking various locks, I believe him.

Anyway, I thought y'all might like the story.

Rangers, do you think that there are better locks, costing, say, $100,
that are not so easy to pick?

Yep, there are certainly higher security locks than the mass market
stuff. Medeco, Abloy, even some Masters. Some have side dimple cut keys,
some have interesting angle cuts, and of course the relatively common
round keys, all types that the common pick sets won't help with. But as
we all know here, the difference between them is just in the amount of
time and number of tools it would take us to defeat them if we needed
to.

At one time I had master keys to high quality locks, they had very
sharp cuts and where a major pain in the ass when sat upon.

SW