Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Aluminum countertop

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I'm determined to do something unique for a countertop and don't want
to spend the money on stainless steel and I want something sort of
"industrial" looking.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that 1/4" thick (or thicker) sheet
aluminum has some possibilities for a countertop.

I'd like a brushed, sealed finish and other than getting the pieces
sheared, do the top myself.

I have a metal fabricator who I'm sure can laser cut the sink etc.

Has anyone ever done this?

Any help/hints?

Hardness? 5052?

5052 is fairly corrosion resistant so it would probably "ok" for a work
counter top. Brushed and sealed? Maybe clear anodized. 1/4" would be way
overkill. .100 if supported under the main surface would be more than
adequate. If you have the front edge rolled and the back bent up and back
for a backsplash it would almsot be self supporting depending on length.

I think I would pass if you meant for a kitchen countertop. If just brushed
aluminum then it it would constantly get scratched, and I am not really sure
if hard anodized would be a lot better. I have a mini mill with a hard
anodized table and it holds up ok, but it does scratch and a cutter goes
through it like butter.

I like stainless for counter tops. Its harder to work with, but will last
longer than you will live.