Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Aluminum countertop

On Jan 23, 3:11*pm, mkr5000 wrote:
I'm determined to do something unique for a countertop and don't want
to spend the money on stainless steel and I want something sort of
"industrial" looking.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that 1/4" thick (or thicker) sheet
aluminum has some possibilities for a countertop.

I'd like a brushed, sealed finish and other than getting the pieces
sheared, do the top myself.

I have a metal fabricator who I'm sure can laser cut the sink etc.

Has anyone ever done this?

Any help/hints?

Hardness? *5052?

Thanks

I suspect that you will find that aluminum will scratch pretty easy.
The first time you try to slide something heavy you may end up with
some deep gouges. I have stainless countertops in my shop and it would
take a near constant effort to keep them looking good-if I was so
inclined. Have you consided cement? I've seen some nice cement kitchen
counter tops.