Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default I Want to bend a piece of ER70S-.062 filler with bend R .160

On Jan 23, 2:34*am, Rich Grise wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:33*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Is it safe to use a gage pin as a mandrel to do something like this?

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...ire-on-pin.png
So, is it OK? About the gage pin, I mean.

A cheaper and less risky alternative might be to use a 16d (penny)
nail -- #8 wire gauge -- 0.162"

Yeah, duh. Don suggested a drill bit - I somehow got this idea in
my headbone; I know where the gage pins are, *but not so sure about
the drill bits. Between then and now, I think I've remembered where
the drill bits are, but I'd have to actually go and _get_ a nail! ;-)

But thanks anyway!

Cheers!
Rich

I'd bend the wire around a #6 screw and then open and round the loop
with a tapered punch. The problem with a hardened pin or even a drill
bit is that the amount of force you have to apply to it sideways to
deform the wire can snap it.

jsw