Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On 23 Jan, 11:21, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:27:32 +0000, Geo wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 00:00:11 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

The skirting board will project more than the socket - just ignore it.

Depends whether it's surface mounted.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

Hopefully you are dealing with a double skin plasterboard wall. Single
skin plasterboard is not the strongest on this type of application

A hollow wall anchor is the ONLY answer if you are concerned about a
load. Fischer offer tech details on their site. Use a pull up/
compression tool if you can. Calculate your loadings, erring on the
conservative side, and use the Fischer tables to establish the number
of fixings required. I would use a french cleat or battens top and
bottom. The bottom batten will carry the vertical load and the top
batten will prevent the shelving rotating outwards. Alternatively you
could use cupboard hangers. The type that use a small plate screwed to
the wall and adjustable fittings mounted inside the storage unit.
These make the use of hollow wall anchors easier as the metal plate is
only about 2mm thick. Also the adjustments available on the fitting
mounted inside the cupboard make leveling easy.

Those screw in nylon fixings are very poor when it comes to heavy
loads. They have little resistance to horizontal pull and are easily
overtightened leading to deformation of the thread cut in the
plasterboard

Don't ask how I know all this,but believe me I speak from bitter
experience.

Paul Mc cann