Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default While Iggy's talking about safes...

On 2011-01-23, rangerssuck wrote:
I thought now would be a good time to relate a story about locks.

I've always had a passing interest in locks and lock picking, but it
was just that - a passing interest. Until a few years ago when I
picked up a rental video on lock picking. Holy crap, says I, It can't
really be that easy, can it? So, I bought a cheap set of lock picks,
and took a whack at it. It really was THAT easy.

The 15 year old kid from down the street happend to stop by, and I
showed him my new-found "skill." After I spent a couple of minutes
explaining what goes on with the pins inside a lock cylinder, he
proceeded to pick my front door lock.

A long time ago, a locksmith told me, "Locks are to keep honest people
honest. If a bad guy wants to get in, he's going to get in." After my
brief experience with picking various locks, I believe him.

Anyway, I thought y'all might like the story.

Rangers, do you think that there are better locks, costing, say, $100,
that are not so easy to pick?

There are electronic locks, with a box with usually four or five rocker
switches. As far as I know, you can set your combination to any arbitrary
pattern of switch clicks. If somebody tries it and misses three times
in a row, it disables the lock for maybe an hour or something.

Bank vaults use time locks, but I kinda doubt if you'd get one for less
than a bill - maybe more like five or ten - a bank vault door is probably
tens of thousands, but you've already got the safe.

One serious drawback of the electronic lock is powering it, but as I've
been writing this, it's occurred to me that one could mount a power jack
alongside the combination buttons. ;-)

Hope This Helps!
Or even amuses, or diverts. %-}

Cheers!