Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:19:12 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

Just check the local code, and go by that.
See if it's all black pipe now.
If I knew black pipe was code, I'd use black pipe.
I put a galvanized gas pipe run in my first house in Chicago when I
working in the basement. Had just re-piped all the water and had
plenty of galvanized left over.
Sometime later a gas worker was in and spotted it right off.
Think it was an appliance guy when I bought a new dryer.
He said, "You do that?"
I said "Yep."
"Why'd you use galvanized?"
"That's what I had."
He could see my pipe bench.
Nothing more was said.
Always assumed he asked because galvanized was more expensive and not
necessary. Who knows.
I don't know what code is here, but I put a new HW tank a couple years
ago, and had to replace a gas nipple with a longer one.
Used galvanized, didn't think anything of it.
I just looked and see a lot of galvanized Tees and 90's on the gas
piping that were already there.
Now I'm pretty sure I'll never check the code.

--Vic