Old January 22nd 11, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

Old January 22nd 11, 05:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:19*am, Mikepier wrote:
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

This is one of those questions that starts wars. Left coasters
generally can use galvanized, but I believe that is a different
galvanizing process for gas pipe than the standard galvanizing.
Something about the galvanizing flaking off or some such. East coast
generally has galvanized prohibited. Obviously your local code rules.

I would not mix galvanized and black iron directly, even if it's
allowed, as that accelerates corrosion. You'd have to use a
dielectric fitting.

Best thing is to visit a local plumbing supply house for such things.
They'll have stuff Lowes and Home Despot won't carry, and the guys
know far more than the guys in the aprons. On a side note, the local
big guy plumbing supply house, which I used to loathe going to as they
had major attitude and you had to be waited on (long lines and
attitude = I go elsewhere), changed over to a pick-your-own store set
up. Far superior. I'm sure they did it to trim superfluous counter
people and pickers, and make the store more user-friendly.

Old January 22nd 11, 06:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2011 9:58 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I would not mix galvanized and black iron directly, even if it's
allowed, as that accelerates corrosion. You'd have to use a
dielectric fitting.

Now *that* makes my BS meter twitch just a mite: why would there be
corrosion? Galvanized pipe is zinc over steel, so galvanized + steel
(black) should be no problem, right?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Old January 22nd 11, 12:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/21/2011 9:58 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I would not mix galvanized and black iron directly, even if it's
allowed, as that accelerates corrosion. You'd have to use a
dielectric fitting.

Now *that* makes my BS meter twitch just a mite: why would there be
corrosion? Galvanized pipe is zinc over steel, so galvanized + steel
(black) should be no problem, right?

To rephrase what you said, if zinc + steel = corrosion, than a galvanized
pipe should disintegrate just sitting on the rack.

Old January 22nd 11, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

Black pipe and galvanized pipe are the same material with just one
difference: galvanized pipe is coated with zinc to prevent the underlying
steel from corroding. Galvanized piping was commonly used in pipes that
carried drinking water--before the widespread use of copper piping and PEX
tubing. Black pipe was used in drain lines, heating piping and natural gas
piping. Black pipe can be used in lieu of galvanized pipe as long as the
piping system isn't for drinking water. Since both pipes are basically the
same material, they fit together with ease.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6816090_mix-...ized-pipe.html

Old January 22nd 11, 02:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 8:31*am, "SBH" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

Black pipe and galvanized pipe are the same material with just one
difference: galvanized pipe is coated with zinc to prevent the underlying
steel from corroding. Galvanized piping was commonly used in pipes that
carried drinking water--before the widespread use of copper piping and PEX
tubing. Black pipe was used in drain lines, heating piping and natural gas
piping. Black pipe can be used in lieu of galvanized pipe as long as the
piping system isn't for drinking water. Since both pipes are basically the
same material, they fit together with ease.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6816090_mix-...ized-pipe.html

It's interesting that they worded it as "black pipe can be used in
lieu of
galvanized pipe...." and did not state that they are interchangeable,
ie
the other way around too. Though they seem to imply it. That
is the opposite substitution that the poster is asking about. And
like Rico
stated in the first reply, different areas have different rules
regarding the use
of galvanized pipe with gas.

I think from a practical standpoint, it's a nit. The theoretical
issue is that
natural gas can have contaminants which could react with the zinc,
form
flakes, which can come off and create problems. But, whether today's
gas even has that issue I don't know. Nor have I ever heard of it
actually
ocurring. IMO, you could mix the two if you had to, and it would be
fine,
but might not comply with local code. I'd just go find the black
fitting,
which are very common and should be easy to find.

I also think the ehow advice is incorrect in general anyway. First
they state
that the glavanizing is to prevent corrosion, then they say you can
substitute
black iron? Suppose the application is outside, exposed to the
weather,
for example. Galvanized won't rust and need to be painted, black
iron will.
Old January 22nd 11, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater
this weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's
in black iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

I had to hook up a small electric water heater a few years ago and used
a combination of short-length galvinized and regular steel pipes and
tees near the tank, and used PEX feed lines to and from the tank.

In about 3 years the non-galvinized sections were very rust on the
outside, and really badly crudded-up on the inside, creating rusty water
if the hot water wasn't used for a few days (this is a small tank -
about 3 or 4 gallons). There was even some leaking of these pipes too.

I replaced everything with galvinized and no rust and no leaks for about
2-3 years now.

For a gas line, there is some water in natural gas - you're supposed to
put in a drop-trap line to catch the water before runs into your
appliance so the water can accumulate there. I'd be using galvinized
for that if it were me.
Old January 22nd 11, 02:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2011 12:19 AM, Mikepier wrote:
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

Depends on your gas utility. The giant bureaucratic mega company that
serves our area will not permit galvanized pipe or fittings.
Old January 22nd 11, 03:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Home Guy" wrote
For a gas line, there is some water in natural gas - you're supposed to
put in a drop-trap line to catch the water before runs into your
appliance so the water can accumulate there. I'd be using galvinized
for that if it were me.

I'd not bother. I've seen installations that are 50 years old and no
problems with black pipe.

Old January 22nd 11, 04:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2011 8:39 AM, wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:31 am, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The rules and inspectors in my area do not allow galvanized pipe use
on natural gas systems. I think in the uniform Southeast building code.

TDD