Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:37:21 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 22, 1:01Â*pm, " wrote:

Galvanized isn't designed for Natural Gas.

The black iron pipe has closer tolerances.

galvanized is often welded up the side, rather than extruded like black
iron.

don't use galvanized for gas lines

Bingo. I was waiting for someone to chime in with that. It surprises
me that people don't notice such things, and assume that all iron/
steel is the same.

I still have no clue what sort of galvanized pipe they use on the
other coast and how it differs, or if it differs, from galvanized pipe
in the Northeast. Anyone know?

And a welded seam pipe is going to be an issue at less than 5 PSI
pressure in natural gas distribution, and not be an issue at 60+ psi
in a water system????