Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:58:20 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 22, 12:19Â*am, Mikepier wrote:
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

This is one of those questions that starts wars. Left coasters
generally can use galvanized, but I believe that is a different
galvanizing process for gas pipe than the standard galvanizing.
Something about the galvanizing flaking off or some such. East coast
generally has galvanized prohibited. Obviously your local code rules.

I would not mix galvanized and black iron directly, even if it's
allowed, as that accelerates corrosion. You'd have to use a
dielectric fitting.

Pardon?????
Galvanize is Zinc applied to steal to prevent corrosion, and the layer
of zinc between two pieces of steel will NOT cause any corrosion.

And here in Ontario, far from the west coast, Galvanized piping is no
longer forbidden in gas piping.

Best thing is to visit a local plumbing supply house for such things.
They'll have stuff Lowes and Home Despot won't carry, and the guys
know far more than the guys in the aprons. On a side note, the local
big guy plumbing supply house, which I used to loathe going to as they
had major attitude and you had to be waited on (long lines and
attitude = I go elsewhere), changed over to a pick-your-own store set
up. Far superior. I'm sure they did it to trim superfluous counter
people and pickers, and make the store more user-friendly.

I'd still recommend non-galvanized if possible - and most real
hardware and farm supply stores will still carry "black iron"
(maleable iron) fittings.