Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:01 pm, " wrote:
Galvanized isn't designed for Natural Gas.

The black iron pipe has closer tolerances.

galvanized is often welded up the side, rather than extruded like black
iron.

don't use galvanized for gas lines

Bingo. I was waiting for someone to chime in with that. It surprises
me that people don't notice such things, and assume that all iron/
steel is the same.

I still have no clue what sort of galvanized pipe they use on the
other coast and how it differs, or if it differs, from galvanized pipe
in the Northeast. Anyone know?

Much black pipe is welded as well (ERW, commonly, these days).

It's not the manufacturing process, per se, that determines the ASTM
Standard to which any given pipe will meet but the combination of
materials and manufacturing and quality control. Welded pipe may meet
or exceed a given seamless pipe of similar bore/schedule depending on
the intent and/or spec is was manufactured to. IOW, it isn't whether
it's welded or not matters, it's the Standard to which it was graded.

There's no difference in galvanized from one part of the country to the
other; the only more-or-less definitive study on its application w/
natural gas I've seen (not to say there isn't more; only this is only
one I've actually looked at) was done by PG&E who are, afaik, still west
coast...

It concluded that w/ current domestic gas the impurities that were the
initial concern weren't any longer but hedged its bets on the future w/
imports and particularly the possible/probable advent of large
quantities of import compressed/lng products.

It was dated sometime in the 90s iirc; I've no idea what might be
current Code or if any action was taken. Here in the barren middle
NG-producing part, local Code anyway still hasn't been modified other
than to accept the newer materials; galvanized is still generally not
seen for NG.

For a single fitting in a small line, I'd not worry about it back to the
OPs question altho I'm one that it would look out of place so I'd go get
a matching fitting just on that basis alone.