Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

In article ,
Leon wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

...other stuff snipped...

I'd choose the saw which didn't have the asshole attorney attached to
it, the Whirlwind licensed machine, of course.

OK, I'll go with the SawStop. Now we are going to shove our hands up under
the guard as fast as we can like we are playing hand ball. We'll see who
has the bigger cut. Better yet, you can do yours with your saw turned off,
I'll let the SawStop run to give you an advantage, maybe.

IIRC the Whirlwind blade simply stops, the speed of your hand will probably
produce a pretty good cut when it hits that stationary blade. The SawStop
blade of course instantly stops spinning AND drops below the table.

A- hole attorney or not, I am going with what offers ME the most protection.

The Whirlwind will make all of this type technology become more reasonably
priced but so far it's a "me too" that does not offer the same amount of
protection.

I see pros and cons to both the Sawstop and the Whirlwind designs, I'll
leave that decision to their potential buyers. But in fairness, if the
Sawstop is NOT running, it's blade won't drop either. I don't see either
having an advantage when it comes to contact with a stationary blade.