Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

No arguments with any of the above - particularly what saw you will
buy next - but the idea of the SawStop stopping when the finger
touches the blade seems late in the game for injury protection.

Perhaps; on the other hand, any injury you might happen to get on a
SawStop-equipped saw means a trip to the first-aid kit to get a bandaid,
rather than a trip to the ER and reconstructive surgery.

The
Whirlwind model stops the saw without damage while the fingers are
still well away.

As long as the fingers are moving slowly, yes, I'd agree with that. But
what
if your hand slips, and moves toward the blade too quickly for Whirlwind
react in time? SawStop's major advantage is that it stops the blade almost
instantly on contact. Whirlwind's reaction time is slow enough, I think,
permit a disabling injury if your hand slips into the blade.

Another big point in SawStop's favor is that it works with the guard
removed,
e.g. while making a dado, groove, or cove cut.

I would like to see a demonstration of the SawStop where the operator runs a
small piece of wood (and his finger) into the blade at the speed with which
I usually run a small piece of wood thru. Every demo I've seen shows a very
careful (slow) approach.

Max