Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 1:30 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Jan 18, 10:14 am, Neil Brooks wrote:

Has the much-vaunted "Free Market" given us a choice ??

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

Hmmmm.

Very interesting. Looks like it is a few $'s away from actually being
available for purchase. I wonder if he will have trouble with the
Whirlwind name because of the well know woodworking machinery company
of the same name.

I hope Steel City or JDS or some smaller company can get on this thing
and bring it to market quickly.

Methinks that design will eat SawStop's lunch. The SawStop inventor
may have outsmarted himself with the way he went bringing it to
market. I don't know anyone that would think that destroying a blade
and having to buy a replacement brake cartridge would be preferable to
pressing a button to restart.

Might be a good deal.

Of course, having an overhead safety guard like the Whirlwind one,
just by itself, would probably prevent 99% of serious injuries. The
dust collection is a big bonus. And retrofitting tabletop saws...?
Totally covers the market.

The apparent required guard would be the deal breaker for me. I'd probably
go with the SawStop at this point.

How much do you think that system for a tabletop would end up going
for?

$4289.05 l~)