Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 19, 8:54 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In , tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote:

[...]

Never the less, the sawstop does eat blades.

You know what? I don't really care. If you never trigger it, that's obviously
a non-issue. And if you *do* trigger it, the cost of a new blade and cartridge
is tiny in comparison to the cost of treating the injury you'd otherwise
receive.

But it doesn't take 4.5
revolutions to stop the blade. So if I don't want to use the guard, I
can still be assured my hot dog won't be eaten.

Amen! Watch the slow-motion video of the SawStop in action. Advance it
frame-by-frame if necessary. Count how many teeth actually touch Steve Gass'
finger. One for sure, maybe the next one, maaaaayyyyyybe the third, but by the
time the fourth tooth has come around, the blade is already dropping, and it
sure looks to me like the fourth tooth never touched him.

That's pretty damned fast.

I would buy the sawstop if I had the money.

Same here.

And I will probably buy a
sawstop next time I need a new saw.

I will *definitely* buy a SawStop the next time I need a new saw.

Especially since the Delta brand has
let me down a few times lately, and now that they are sold... it make it
a moot point. The quality of the saw stop is where the 66 was.

Agreed.

But the sawstop passed it. It is a beefy heavy ... nice saw. Big
trunions. Nice fit and finish.

Yes. It's a nice piece of gear -- looks worth the price even *without* the
safety feature. That *will* be my next table saw, unless something better
comes along first.

No arguments with any of the above - particularly what saw you will
buy next - but the idea of the SawStop stopping when the finger
touches the blade seems late in the game for injury protection. The
Whirlwind model stops the saw without damage while the fingers are
still well away. In some sense it's a training device as much as a
safety device. The Whirlwind would be the superior choice in a high
school woodworking shop. Reset the saw a few times and you'll get in
the habit of keeping your fingers well away from the danger area.

The SawStop guy did rock the boat and finally bring some change to a
moribund tablesaw design. He singlehandedly changed the game.
Unfortunately he's a lawyer as well as an inventor - a bad combination
if there ever was one. Come to think of it a lawyer combined with
anything is a bad idea, particularly combined with 'homo sapien',

I like what Megyn Kelly said, "I'm a recovering lawyer".

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Whatever you are, be a good one. -