Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default VIDEO of MEP-006A military diesel generator running.

On 2011-01-18, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:48:56 -0600, Ignoramus26212

On 2011-01-18, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:50:02 -0600, Ignoramus26212
wrote:

Here it is. Starting and running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrF--s7QBM

Nicely done!

What was the problem with the over reving?

It was not over revving. It simply accelerated VERY quickly and
loudly, with a lot of power released ni one moment, to spin the engine
up very fast.

Ill bet your heart was in your mouth until you figured that out huh?

That's not what happened.

When the generator started for real the first time, I thought that by
accident I bought a smoke generator, instead of electrical generator.

It was just spewing storm cloud sized stream of dark gray smoke. It
actually started off slow, coughed a lot, spewed smoke in enormous
amounts, then sped up and ran nicely and clearly.

I will try to record a video of its "cold start" if you like that sort
of stuff. It is kind of remarkable for how it smokes for the first 5
seconds when started cold.

Cold diesel engines without emissions controls do spew a lot of
vaporized diesel "smoke". Does the engine have glow plugs to assist
starting?