Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Painting cast aluminum parts

wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:30:57 -0800, Rich Grise
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

a mild alkaline to the first wash cycle--IIRC your ph needs to be
slightly above 10..

EEEK! OP didn't say if any of his parts are aluminum, but alkalis eat
aluminum for breakfast.

The emphasis is on MILD. Most organic degreasers are alkaline.

Well, I _am_ teachable, and it's dead easy to see what some baking soda
does to a piece of aluminum. When I get a round tuit, I'll report back
with my results.

I _have_ heard that something like lye, which is an amazingly effective
cleaner (like oven cleaner; you can use it on ring-around-the-collar in
the laundry), does damage aluminum, but that wasn't what was being
discussed; I should engage my brain before throwing my keyboard into
gear.

Thanks!
Rich