Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Painting cast aluminum parts

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
John R. Carroll wrote:

Geez! Get the schmutz off, but there's no point in being obsessive about
it.

It doesn't have to be hospital-sterile. If the parts are small enough,
running them through the dishwasher (if they'll fit) will be more than

Run one mostly-complete cycle using detergent so as to thoroughly clean /
degrease and then restart, this time without detergent but instead adding a
mild alkaline to the first wash cycle--IIRC your ph needs to be slightly
above 10....if your water is hard or if the is ph excessive then you might
want to run a separate final rinse cycle using distilled water by temporary
unplugging the water solenoid and filling the tub by hand so as to avoid
mineral precipitation.

good enough, as long as you don't load them up with finger grease when
you unload them. I'd apply about the same standards of "clean" as if I
were hand-washing my own pots and pans.

But they _do_ need to be dry!