Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DA DA is offline

Default Painting cast aluminum parts

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ts-487279-.htm
DA wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Rustoleum spray-bomb should work fine. Use their metal primer first,
then the color(s) of your choice. You _can_ do a good job with
spray-can paint, but not the first time you try.

Thank you for your replies, guys!

Yes, I will clean it well before doing anything. Thankfully, the parts are
reasonably clean to begin with, some of the flashing has already been
removed and they might have even washed the parts already but I'm going to
do it again anyways.

I see that the primer is the most important part of this combination. From
the looks of the parts, especially the body that is kinda open, i.e. needs
to be painted inside as well as outside, I think I'm going to stay away
from sprays for both primer and the top coat. It looks like it would be a
challenge to cover it well from a spray bottle.

So, I've found this Rust Oleum 8781-504 Aluminum Primer in 1qt cans on
Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-878...dp/B000LNQ8HA/

which looks like it'll work. As far as the top coat - I'm not sure yet.
I'll just browse HD or Lowes for some more Rust-oleum stuff.

Thanks again!

--
DA in PA